Sunday, March 2, 2008

Week 6 - Thing #13

I created a del.icio.us account months ago, but never took the time to really learn how to use it or explore it. I spent the evening going through the bookmarks on my laptop and posting the ones I wanted to keep on del.icio.us.

I see a huge potential for this in school libraries. We put a lot of links into our Follett Destiny program using the visual search. But we could also put those same links into del.icio.us with searchable tags for our students. With the Firefox sidebar extension, posting the bookmarks won't take long - but tagging them will take a lot of thought - similar to cataloging. We will need to think about what students will type in to search for web sites. Reinforces, that access points are still important - but in a Web 2.0 world it's just a different tool. Our jobs are changing constantly - but the foundation of helping students find information and resources is still the same.

Updated! After a few days, I went back to my del.icio.us account and organized it better. By bundling my tags I can see my curriculum tags and my technology tags, etc. much better. I also added several networks of teachers in my building too.

No comments: