Sunday, March 30, 2008

Week 9 - Thing #22

I love audiobooks for myself, so I can really see a lot of potential in getting students interested in literature. I drive 80 minutes to my grad classes once a week and love to listen to lots of different kinds of audiobooks each week. I'm not sure about ebooks for leisure - and I haven't tried to download any on to my palm pilot. My students use plenty of ebooks for research, but would find it hard to see students reading a novel on a screen, no matter how portable.

I believe audiobooks - especially for portable MP3 players can be utilized with all kinds of students. Kids are plugged in at home - so why not capitalize on that in school? We are exploring playaways in our high school, but haven't really advertised them yet - but we are anxious to see how students respond to them. I think the availability of more and more audiobooks on the internet will enable educators and librarians to realize the full potential and use this tool where it fits best with students. Having them at no cost in the public domain will speed this process up.

No comments: